Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
By far the greatest silver service ever created was the Grand Service made by royal silversmiths Rundell, Bridge, and Rundell ...
moreBy far the greatest silver service ever created was the Grand Service made by royal silversmiths Rundell, Bridge, and Rundell for King George IV of England. It took over 10 years to complete and cost an amazing £100,000 (approximately $15 million in today’s currency). This historically significant and magnificently crafted ice pail hails from that very same Grand Service. It is the only known royal ice pail currently on the market since the great majority of the service still resides in Windsor Castle and is used by the Queen to this day.
This ice pail was one of two taken by the Duke of Cumberland when he became King of Hanover. The pail bears the coat of arms of the Duke and retains its custom-made silver plateau, also by Rundell, Bridge, and Rundell. It is widely assumed that the great John Flaxman himself designed the ice pails for the Royal Family. The ice pails were the centerpiece of the Grand Service, giving testament to their importance. It is not only exceptionally rare, highly important, and in phenomenal condition (the finial is a later replacement), but it is also impressively crafted and exquisitely beautiful.
There were six ice pails made for the Royal Family by Rundell, Bridge, and Rundell in 1827. In 1837, Queen Victoria assumed the throne of England and her uncle, King George III’s son, The Duke of Cumberland, became King of Hanover. The King took two of the ice pails that had his coat of arms on them along with a good bit of other royal silver and moved to Germany. Queen Victoria was so infuriated that she unsuccessfully sued to regain possession of the taken silver.
In 1866, Hanover fell to Prussian troops and all of the King’s royal silver was smuggled to Gmunden, Austria, and was eventually sold in 1923. One of the two royal ice pails eventually went to a museum and the other, the last remaining royal ice pail, went to a private Austrian collector. It is that exceptional ice pail that we are proud to offer to you now.
The second ice pail that was taken by the duke is pictured in Koopman Rare Art's 2005 exhibition book Silver from a Gilded Age: George III to Queen Victoria.
Hallmarked by Phillip Rundell, London, 1827
Royal Ice Pail: 16” diameter x 21” high
Plateau: 27” diameter x 4 1/2” high less
- 16ʺW × 16ʺD × 21ʺH
- Early 19th Century
- English Traditional
- Place of Origin
- Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
More From This DealerView All
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.