Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
This incredibly elegant period Louis XV commode en tombeau has been hand carved from European pearwood. The incurved ... moreBordeaux France
This incredibly elegant period Louis XV commode en tombeau has been hand carved from European pearwood. The incurved shape of the sides and the front of this commode make this an extremely complex piece to carve. The French term to describe this outward curving is galbe or bombe. Many 18th century commodes of this general shape had squared off drawer ends and drawer frames, and the drawers themselves had slight overlap to cover the any gaps from the drawer openings. The drawer ends on this commode are incurved at the top row, out-curved (galbe) at the center row, and incurved again at the bottom row. Also, the drawer fronts have no overhangs to the openings, making the construction tedious and exacting. The commode opens by 4 drawers over 3 rows (two drawers on top row). Scrolling moldings surround each bronze handle and the keyhole. Note how each scrolling molding is hand carved with just a slight difference in the details. The top is original. The front feet are acanthus leaf scrolls and the back feet are acanthus leaves with round ends. Along the apron, we see a center floral piece with the fleur de lis at the top, surrounded by repeating linear motifs and scrolling foliage. To either side are more scrolling acanthus leaves and a linear shaped repeating border that is only interrupted by more leaves on the sides.
Fruitwood chests of drawers of this quality, and from the 1700s are rare, especially pearwood and applewood. Since these woods are tender and slightly sweet, they were irresistable to wood bugs! Many of the 18th century examples have not survived. Rare and a true find, this period Louis XV, pearwood commode en tombeau will be a spectacular piece to any collection!
H=34 1/4, W=45 1/2 (measured at center), D=24 3/4 less
- 45.5ʺW × 24.75ʺD × 34.25ʺH
- Early 18th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Condition Notes
- Good antique condition with old restorations, losses to wood and some motifs, age separations, traces of old wood worm and ... moreGood antique condition with old restorations, losses to wood and some motifs, age separations, traces of old wood worm and no keys. Rear feet stabilized during a very old restoration. Old bug damage and restoration to rear as well. less
- Place of Origin
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.