Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
A paragon of Regency splendor, the crafting of this rare and incredible candelabrum centerpiece and plateau are attributed to London ...
moreA paragon of Regency splendor, the crafting of this rare and incredible candelabrum centerpiece and plateau are attributed to London silversmith and sculptor Philip Cornman for Rundell, Bridge & Rundell after a design by architect Charles Heathcote Tatham. A motif originally created in 1801 for Tatham’s major patron, the 5th Earl of Carlisle, these resplendent bronze and brass ormolu creations illustrate both artisan’s propensity toward grand sculptural masterworks inspired by antiquity.
Intricately cast, chased and engraved with clear Egyptian influences, the centerpiece bears the hallmarks of masterful workmanship throughout. Cornman was a virtuoso of many mediums, but it was his skills as a silver and goldsmith that captured the attentions of Rundell, Bridge & Rundell sometime at the end of the 18th century, and the firm often utilized his gifts to create extensive pieces for Barons, Earls, and military heroes. The silversmith was obviously well versed in Tatham’s published designs as illustrated in the architect’s tome Design for Ornamental Plate. In fact, the design of this very centerpiece is illustrated within the pages and captioned “A Piece of Plate designed and executed in Silver for the Earl of Carlisle in the year 1801.”
These majestic pieces illustrate the far-reaching design influences of Napoléon’s Egyptian campaign, which not only had a strategic military objective, but it also marked the unprecedented beginning of the first expedition and extensive study into the history of Egypt. Tatham, in particular, was fascinated by the findings of these expeditions, and took advantage of the new-found popularity in Egyptian motifs and melded them into designs he had studied personally in Rome to create a unique oeuvre that emphasized the beauty of antiquity. From the winged sphinxes and bacchanal masks on the centerpiece to the hoof feet and Greek Key border along the plateau, the influence of the great ancient civilizations prevails.
This centerpiece and plateau was part of the Christie’s auction of rare and important objects from the famed Parisian antique gallery Steinitz in 2007, and sold for $85,000. Similar Cornman/Tatham centerpieces have been found executed in silver, however, very few were ever made due to the extreme expense of executing Tatham’s robust designs. One such centerpiece nearly identical to the present example is housed in the collection of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, number 2007.349.
Centerpiece: 25" wide x 16 3/4" high
Plateau: 22 1/2" diameter x 4" high less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.