Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Towering just over eleven feet high, this magnificent ash armoire was specially created to reside in the Winter Palace, the ...
moreTowering just over eleven feet high, this magnificent ash armoire was specially created to reside in the Winter Palace, the residence of Tsar Nicholas II, the last known Russian Emperor. Masterfully crafted, no attention to detail was spared on this monumental work of art. Corinthian columns, stepped arches, elaborate turrets, and urns lavishly adorn the architectural framework, which is truly the finest example of the cabinetmaker’s art.
Nicholas II became Emperor in 1895, during a period of great political unrest. Prior to the Revolution of 1905, Nicholas moved his headquarters from the Winter Palace just south of St. Petersburg to Tsarskoye Selo, the summer home of the Tsars where he remained until the 1917 Bolshevik Revolution.
This armoire and a similar library cabinet eventually surfaced in the cargo of a freight-ship in Ghent, Belgium, in 1935. After the owner of the freight-ship passed away, both cabinets remained untouched until 1940 when they were seized by Ghent customs officials due to unpaid harbor charges. Created in 12 boxes, the two pieces were sold to a local cheese import/export firm who assembled the cabinets in a warehouse. The magnificent Russian cabinets were then publicly exhibited during World War II, drawing large crowds to see the “famous Russian cabinets.” Since the war, this cabinet has remained in the hands of private collectors, until now.
The Winter Palace, one-time residence of the tsars and now the home of the Hermitage, is the most famous building of Imperial St. Petersburg. The Hermitage was built in 1762 for Empress Catherine the Great to house her private collection and has since become, along with the Louvre, the world’s largest museum of art.
131" high x 90" wide x 36" deep less
More From This DealerView All
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.