Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
This rare and exquisite rose medallion porcelain bowl was realized in China, likely for an American market, circa 1840, when ... moreThis rare and exquisite rose medallion porcelain bowl was realized in China, likely for an American market, circa 1840, when the West demonstrated a voracious demand for products of the east, especially silk tea and porcelain. This stunning piece dates to the rule of Emperor Daoguang, the eighth emperor of the Qing dynasty. It is an example of Fencai pottery, a "Famille Rose" palette- here applied in tones of rose quartz, robin's egg blue and jade- set against a white background. Additionally, 24 karat gold leaf has been applied throughout, as well as intricate detailing in shades of onyx and lapis lazuli. The bowl depicts vignettes of the royal court along with garden scenes featuring song birds, butterflies, quince trees, and blossoming peonies. There are also scenes of rushing and pooling water with overhanging juniper trees. The bowl rests on an original hand-carved rosewood base, etched with foliate details at its top and cloud motifs sculpted into each of its five scroll form legs. George Washington, among other founding fathers, custom ordered Porcelain wares from China during this period, reflecting a growing interest in the aesthetic of the Orient. The market for bowls from this period remains as robust as ever before. In 2008, Christie's sold another Chinese porcelain bowl (c. 1780) to a private European collector for over $100,000. There is a tiny chip along the rim (approximately 3cm in length). Overall, this item is in excellent condition, especially for an unrestored object over 150 years old. China, circa 1840 Dimensions: 16.5" height X 23.5" diameter. less
- 16.5ʺW × 16.5ʺD × 23.5ʺH
- Mid 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Condition Notes
- EXCELLENT EXCELLENT less
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.