This compelling piece is a ceremonial mask worn by the Bwa peoples of Burkina Faso during funereal processions, coming of ... moreThis compelling piece is a ceremonial mask worn by the Bwa peoples of Burkina Faso during funereal processions, coming of age initiation rituals, and seasonal agricultural festivities. It represents a particularly stunning example of African masks from this period. Realized from silk wood (ceiba)- a soft and fine grained timber equivalent to an African pine- the mask features an abundance of geometric shapes incised into the anthropomorphic and animal inspired forms. The mask, resembling a human face exaggerated features to the point of abstraction (a protruding nose resembling a fish fin, oversized crest-like forms recalling architectural rabbit ears). The piece offers tones of burnt sienna, taupe, and creme. Traditionally, the Bwa peoples soak these masks in local rivers (weighed down by stones) for several weeks each season to make them less susceptible to insect damage. The red and white toned pigments (naturally derived from local plants) are washed away and reapplied seasonally by newly initiated tribe members, leaving only the black pigment that accrues from year to year as a record of the object's age. The heavy accretions of black paint- suggesting an Art Brut impasto- on the eyes of this mask clearly testify to its antique age, and storied spiritual life. With its bold cubist forms, this piece illustrates, in no uncertain terms, the influence of African Art on the advent of Modern Art in the West (from Picasso to Modigliani and Giacometti). This is unquestionably a museum-quality piece that is a great find for any collector of African Art, or really anyone with an appreciation of rare and exquisite objects. It comes presented on an austere black enameled steel base. Excellent vintage condition. Burkina Faso, Africa, Circa 1850 Provenance: The estate of Maxine Pines Dimensions: 14"D X 9.75"W X 29"H less
- 9.75ʺW × 14ʺD × 29ʺH
- Mid 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Condition Notes
- EXCELLENT EXCELLENT less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.