Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Please update measurements.
The sculptural arts of western africa owe a great deal to the shadowy peoples known as the ... morePlease update measurements.
The sculptural arts of western africa owe a great deal to the shadowy peoples known as the tellem. When the dogon moved from their original heartland into the bandiagara escarpment area of mali, the remains of tellem culture were to be found in many of the caves and shelters along the escarpment edge. Comparatively little is known of their day-to-day life, but their expressive sculptures are among the rarest and most influential in african art history. Most known works are in wood and represent either kneeling female figures or standing figures of either sex with their arms elevated- believed to represent an appeal for rain or perhaps supernatural assistance. This basalt figure displays the angular and expressionistic characteristics of both tellem and dogon sculpture, with the body bisected by a number of planes that become naturalistic body features. The face is likewise angular and linear with protuberant eyes and an arrow-form nose that is also found in many dogon works. The head is surmounted by an ornate hat with elements joining the breasts and upper mid- back. The figure, unusually, is seated on a low stool- a marker of status in many later societies- and a smaller second figure is mounted, facing outwards, on the individual's back. This motif is common in bamana/bambara and dogon works among others. Her right breast is being suckled by an infant that is lain across her left arm and onto her lap. This beautifully carved and important figure is a major discovery and an exceptional opportunity for a serious collector. less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.