Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
This sculpture appears to be related to baule works representing spouses from the spiritual world, called blolo bla (blolo blian ...
moreThis sculpture appears to be related to baule works representing spouses from the spiritual world, called blolo bla (blolo blian if masculine). Baule people believed that every person has such a spouse. It manifests itself through a series of dreams, usually sexual in nature, and is believed to be responsible for practical and spiritual problems that arise in the life of that individual. Once carved under the direction of a village diviner, the statue is kept in the person’s room and is offered food.
She stands in a characteristic pose, resting both her hands on her belly next to the notable protruding navel. Her legs are spread apart with her knees slightly bent. Raised decorative scarification is prevalent, especially along her back, shoulders, and breasts, on the sides of her neck, and on her temples and forehead. These scars are marks of beauty that distinguish her rank in society. Her facial features, especially her arching brows that merge into a t-shaped nose, are also characteristic of the regional style. The figure wears an elaborate coiffure that has been braided into three central crests crowning her visage. Remnants of paint suggest that a painted cloth once hung around her waist, covering her sexuality. Although her genitals may be unelaborated, the sculpture has exaggerated her firm breasts and erect nipples in order to suggest the spiritual fertility of the work. This sculpture is a representation of the idealized form of spiritual femininity and beauty that reveals the cultural links between the baule tribe and their eastern neighbors. less
- 3.12ʺW × 3.12ʺD × 11.5ʺH
- Place of Origin
- Ivory Coast
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
- Art Subject
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.