Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
The tang dynasty was a golden age of chinese culture. The arts reached new levels of sophistication. Poetry and literature ...
moreThe tang dynasty was a golden age of chinese culture. The arts reached new levels of sophistication. Poetry and literature flourished under the enlightened rulership. The silk road brought fortunes into china on the backs of camels, carrying exotic luxury items from distant lands. Foreign merchants from across central asia and the middle east settled in the urban centers of the tang china, foremost among them the thriving capital of chang’an (modern x’ian), a bustling cosmopolitan centre of over two million inhabitants. The tang dynasty was a relatively stable period of great prosperity representing one of the greatest cultural flourishings in human history. During the tang dynasty, the adoration of the horse can be seen through their burial art. Horse models excavated from mausoleums of the period are among the most splendid and easily recognizable works of chinese art.
The great influence of the horse throughout the history of china cannot be underestimated. In fact, the ancient unification of the chinese empire was due in large part to the horse. Their rapid mobility allowed for quick communication between far away provinces. Likewise, the military role of horses aided in the conquest and submission of distant lands. The need to import stronger, faster steeds from central asia (as opposed to the native mongol pony) led to the creation of the silk road. The importance of the horse in the history and culture of china can be viewed, in part, through the artistic legacy of this great civilization. In sculpture, painting, and literature, horses were glorified and revered, believed to be relatives of dragons, a theory reflecting their sacred status within society.
This impressive, large sculpture of a horse still retains much of its original white pigment in tact. However, even more impressive, is the removable saddle with engraved details that graces his back. This saddle appears to have once been painted orange and likely would have once supported a sculpted rider. The horses ears stand at attention. Its striking eyes are well defined. Its nostrils are flared and its mouth is open, suggesting the horse has just come to rest after a vigorous journey. These rare features, in particular the open mouth and removable saddle, are highly sought after by collectors. This gorgeous sculpture is a testament to the admiration and adoration the chinese had for this marvelous creature. Although they were an integral part in the expansion and defense of the empire, they were equally regarded for their beauty and grace as revealed by this sculpture. less
- 26.25ʺW × 1ʺD × 25.25ʺH
- 15th Century & Earlier
- Place of Origin
- Terra Cotta
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
- Art Subject
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.