Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Please update measurements.
These magnificent museum-quality sculptures have survived in almost perfect condition, and would grace any collection. Standing at ... morePlease update measurements.
These magnificent museum-quality sculptures have survived in almost perfect condition, and would grace any collection. Standing at c. 69 Cm high, their finely modeled features and exquisitely observed anatomical detail makes this pair of tang dynasty horses one of the most instantly recognisable – and desirable – icons of chinese art. This matching set of terracotta horses was created with extreme attention to musculoskeletal topography and surface anatomy. Both horses have short tails, dressed with dressage- style precision, as well as trimmed manes and backwards-sweeping forelocks. They bear detachable saddles with multi- layer detailing and high pommels, and added incised decoration to the saddle blankets. One of the horses is a model of noble serenity, with dipped chin and generally peaceful demeanour; the other, while possessed of similarly poised body posture, has been depicted with open mouth and raised head, thus conveying a more excited – or perhaps martial – image. Both retain much of their original paintwork, including detailing of the eye, eyelashes and mouth. This admiration the chinese held for the horse can clearly been seen in this pair and the true artistry of the tang dynasty shines through. The importance of horses to ancient chinese culture cannot be overstated, and is perhaps nowhere better expressed than in these magnificent tang dynasty sculptures. The most sought-after steeds were known as “blood-sweating horses”; raised in the western kingdom of ferghana, they were sent in great numbers as tribute to the emperor. Horses also were a sign of wealth: strict sumptuary laws limited the use of the horses to people of a certain rank and even those serving in the military, such as the hooded soldier saluting from astride this horse, had to provide their own mount. In fact, the ancient unification of the chinese empire was due in large part to the horse as their rapid mobility allowed for quick communication between distant provinces. Likewise, the military role of horses aided in the conquest and submission of distant lands. The need to import stronger, faster steeds from central asia (as opposed to the native mongol pony) led to the creation of the silk road. It is this atmosphere that china saw one of its ‘golden’ eras flourish. less
- 1ʺW × 1ʺD × 27.25ʺH
- 15th Century & Earlier
- Place of Origin
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
- Art Subject
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.