Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Please update measurements.
This striking piece is a representation of an oba, the hereditary kings of the yoruba polity. His ... morePlease update measurements.
This striking piece is a representation of an oba, the hereditary kings of the yoruba polity. His status is denoted by his long striped tunic, his insignias around his neck, and the high, ornate crown. The right hand is extended palm-outward, implying welcome and friendship. He holds a tall staff in his left hand. His face is marked with the triple cheek scars that denote most yoruba art. He wears a slightly smiling expression, emphasised by his heavily lidded, white-painted eyes.
The yoruba peoples of nigeria have what is probably the longest extant artistic tradition in africa. The nation state is comprised of numerous subsections that were joined historically by the rise and collapse of the ife (12th to 15th centuries) and benin (13th to 19th centuries) polities. Each of the sub-kingdoms – including oyo, ijebu and smaller units towards the west – had their heyday, and are loosely united through language and culture, although they still retain a measure of independence in terms of artistic tradition. It is extremely hard to summarise the nature of yoruba society given the large area they cover and the inevitable variability of their customs.
The yoruba – being a large, complex society – is sedentary, agriculturist and hierarchical. They are ruled by hereditary kings known as obas, and their access to the supernatural world is supervised by a very complex arrangement of priests (i.E. Olowa) and spiritual intermediaries. They also have a deeply established aristocracy and social order, which is reflected in yoruba artworks.
This is a representation of an elite personage, and is a truly impressive piece of african art. less
- 1ʺW × 1ʺD × 1ʺH
- Early 20th Century
- Place of Origin
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
- Art Subject
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.