Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
This imposing semi-helmet mask was made by the malinke (or maninka) people of west africa. It is an exceptionally dominant ...
moreThis imposing semi-helmet mask was made by the malinke (or maninka) people of west africa. It is an exceptionally dominant piece. It has a broad, flat face with a wide nose, slit eyes and a bulging forehead, all covered (and defined, in the case of the eyes) with applied metal plates decorated with hammered, incised markings. The forehead is decorated with three saw-edges strips, while strips define the nose, cheeks and mouth. The wood is also decorated with punched awl marks. The face is dominated by a pair of tall horns that sweep upwards and backwards. The edges of the rear are well worn, and the perimeter is surrounded with a series of holes that imply the attachment of a costume. The surface is very dark, through a combination of stain and use- wear.
The malinke are distributed as a minority in guinea, mali, the ivory coast, senegal, gambia, and smaller groups in sierra leone, b.Faso, guinea-bissau, liberia and ghana. They are part of the mande group, and stem from an 8th century ad entity known as the malinke empire, which was a very powerful trading body. Modern malinke are agriculturists, and live in male- dominated, hierarchical societies. Despite their population size and wide distribution, their contribution to africa’s artistic heritage is minimal, as they are predominantly muslim and believe that representative arts fly in the face of islamic convention. This mask is therefore something of a rarity.
Its significance is uncertain. Before being colonised by muslim groups, the populations in this area were polytheist and “idolatrous”, but their art has been destroyed and the traditions abandoned. This piece could be either an anecdotal object, or a memorial object from a lost cultural heritage. Its demonic appearance says something about what it was meant to represent – power, evil, males, or the strength of nature – although we are unsure about how it was used, beyond being a masquerade object. This is a rare and unusual piece of african art. less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.