Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Please update measurements.
This dark and impressive sculpture of a horseman is a rare piece from the lagoons region of ... morePlease update measurements.
This dark and impressive sculpture of a horseman is a rare piece from the lagoons region of the ivory coast. The human figure is in the traditional lagoons style, with short, powerful legs, a long torso, slender arms and a head carved with exceptional care. The expression is serene, attained by the plain, looped brows, the closed eyes, the small, open mouth and the high brow, surmounted with a multi-conical coiffure. The ears lie flat against the head. The possession of a beard denotes age and thus social standing within the gerontocratic culture. The face is also decorated with several plugs of wood that fit into small holes drilled into the piece – these denote keloid scarifications. One might assume that the person represented is of high status, as not only is the figure somewhat masterful, but horses are always viewed as being elite possessions. The animal itself is actually more akin to a feline (i.E. Leopard), in its high shoulders, sharp ears, short face and almost human-like features. Alternatively it may be a therianthropic piece, a fusion of different animals into a character from lagoons mythology. This would tend to lend the piece magical rather than status-linked importance. Both are covered with a dark and uneven patina implying handling and the application of libations.
The lagoons people include about a dozen distinct groups, which are grouped into two main units (the attye and the ebrie), and are not usually confused with the anyi, who are more influenced by local neighbours such as the baule. Lagoons groups consider themselves to be distinct from one another except in cases of threat, when they combine. Their social structure is based upon a gerontocracy. Artistically, they are defined by carvings of astonishing refinement, with exceptionally serene expressions and attenuated proportions. They usually have highly ornate hairstyles, keloid scarifications – rendered as removable plugs – and glossy patinas from usage. The figures were used by spiritual intermediaries to obtain information from the hereafter. There are also reports of highly gendered figures being used as spirit spouses, as in the baule tradition. They are also said to have been display pieces at traditional dances, or awarded to excellent dancers and performers. They are sometimes adorned with beads, which are often more diagnostic in terms of area of origin than the piece itself.
Pieces such as this are rare, and are not described in the literature. Given the balance of elements, this is probably an ancestor or devotional piece, carved to show his power and authority. The meaning of the animal is equivocal, but likely refers further to his status. This is a powerful and attractive piece of african art. less
- 1ʺW × 1ʺD × 17.5ʺH
- Place of Origin
- Ivory Coast
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
- Art Subject
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.