Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
This colourful and demonic-looking polychrome figure was made by bangwa group of the cameroonian grasslands. It comprises a male (?) Humanoid ...
moreThis colourful and demonic-looking polychrome figure was made by bangwa group of the cameroonian grasslands. It comprises a male (?) Humanoid figure with solid, straight legs, a corpulent waistline, hands gathered on the abdomen and a domed, alien-like head with large eyes and open mouth. The arms spring directly from the jawline. The figure is mainly white with sporadic dots of darker colours. There are bright purple-blue eminences on each thigh, a colour which also occurs on the lips and the lids of the red-rimmed eyes.
The bamun are one of the three simplified groups in the grasslands: bamileke, bamum, and bamenda tikar. They originated towards the north and have been moving south for three hundred years. Their economy is based upon agriculture, which gave rise to great wealth and thus a complex social system. Village chiefs are known as “fons”, and are responsible for dispensing justice and administering “his” (i.E. The village’s) land. His power is moderated by secret societies, although he is technically in charge of these.
Bamin religion is centred on a god named si, but is more referent to ancestor worship. Ancestors are usually addressed through their skulls, which are kept by the eldest living male in each lineage. Major bangwa artworks include dancing queen figures, which are displayed only during the funerals of fons. Smaller pieces such as this have less well-defined functions but are generally believed to commemorate important actual or mythical ancestors.
This is a striking and interesting piece of african art. less
- 14ʺW × 14ʺD × 44ʺH
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
- Place of Origin
- Art Subject
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.