Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Please update measurements.
Although commonly referred to as “faiyum portraits,” mummy portraits from roman egypt have been found throughout the ... morePlease update measurements.
Although commonly referred to as “faiyum portraits,” mummy portraits from roman egypt have been found throughout the country, from the mediterranean coast to the banks of the nile valley; however, many of the most celebrated works come from cemeteries in the desert oasis of faiyum. These fascinating paintings are the product of two worlds, combining egyptian funerary beliefs with the sophisticated portraiture of the greco-roman tradition.
The preservation of the physical remains of the deceased was a central focus of egyptian funerary customs, eventually leading to the creation of mummies. However, mere preservation of the corpse was not sufficient, the mummy itself had to appear alive. Elaborate coffins and funerary masks evolved to present the remains with the appearance of vitality. Although mummification was still practiced during the roman period, the techniques had begun to devolve and many of these mummies have since decayed, leaving behind only these haunting portraits.
While the painting technique of faiyum portraits is unmistakably roman, their presence on or near the remains of the deceased is an egyptian custom, representing a fusion of technique and belief. The people portrayed were likely the administrative elite and their families who ruled over this multiethnic, multicultural frontier of the roman empire. No doubt they held faith in the ancient egyptian cults, as evident by their focus on preparing for the afterlife; but they also chose to depict themselves as romans, wearing customary roman fashions and jewelry. The heightened realism of the portraits was made possible by the relative fluidity of the encaustic technique where pigments were mixed with hot or cold beeswax as well as other ingredients, producing a medium that is very similar to oil paint.
This striking portrait of a young man was painted in the encaustic technique on a panel composed of a series of vertical wooden slats that have been bound together. Although the vibrancy of the hues has diminished somewhat over the centuries, the work remains remarkably well preserved. His dark brown eyes, thick eyebrows, and dark curly hair are all features characteristic of the people depicted on such portraits. The painter has managed to capture the effects of light and shadow on the curves of his face, most noticeable around his mouth and chin. He wears a simple white tunic decorated with a thin blue collar. Like an old photograph that has faded over the years, we recognize something familiar in this work, and in the eyes of this man, something we recognize in ourselves too. less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.