Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
The hemba come from southeast zaire. The social system of the hemba is based on a system of clans. Each ...
moreThe hemba come from southeast zaire. The social system of the hemba is based on a system of clans. Each clan is made up of several families, which all share a common ancestor. Each clan adheres to a number of rules, obligations and taboos. Each clan also has a thorough knowledge of its history, migrations, conquests and alliances. Sometimes a whole clan is a village separate from other villages.
Stools are to lift the body off the ground. If you are an important person you do not sit on the ground, you sit on a stool. The stool signifies that the person seated on it should receive respect. Stools which use ‘carved’ people to hold up the seat reflect back to the days when important people used human slaves as seats.
This beautiful and elaborately carved wooden stool is a perfect example of hemba creativity. The seat of the stool is held up by a female figure. She is bold and strong, carved with confidence. Her arms are raised skyward to touch the base of the seat which is balanced on her head. This particular stool was used for the circumcision of young girls, a ritual which passed them into womanhood. She represents the ideal woman, elongated breasts, protruding stomach of a fertile figure. She is a model for the young girls passing into womanhood. She is kneeling on the ground with her arms raised as if she is about to bend in worship or pray. This stool is a glorious example of its kind , its fascinating use and strong example of hemba art make it a unique piece for any collection, or a solitary example standing boldly on its own. less
- 11.12ʺW × 11.12ʺD × 15ʺH
- Place of Origin
- Congo, Republic of (Brazzaville)
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
- Seat Height
- 15.0 inches
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.