Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Carved out of solid wood, covered in gesso and painted in semi-naturalistic way, this head may represent either a saint ...
moreCarved out of solid wood, covered in gesso and painted in semi-naturalistic way, this head may represent either a saint or a disciple of the christian catholic church. The elongated head painted with pale completion, terminating in a long beard and moustanche, the eyes open and mouth sealed in a severe expression.
The head belonged to a small group, now gathered in the barakat collection (see lo.882 And lo.881), Discovered in a sealed room in the cellar of an anglican church in the city of colombo in ceylon, in 1998, when engineers were underpinning the foundations. The church originally belonged to the catholic portuguese, and was passed over to the dutch reformists in the first quarter of the 18th century.
The style of the head would seem to place it just prior to the dutch conquest. During the 16th and 17th centuries the practice of keeping the beard prevailed among the roman catholic clergy, especially amongst the foreign missionaries involved in the establishment of the far eastern missions. This group of heads are stylistically affine to the early jesuit and franciscan iconography employed prevalently during the 17th century in india, after the foundation of the catholic mission in goa by st francis xavier, when not only the christ but also saints, such as st xavier and thomas the apostle, were often portrayed long-bearded.
Furthermore, towards the end of the catholic presence in ceylon (ended 1658) wooden heads and large saintly figures were indeed used not only as votive images in churches, but also as didactic vehicles in the natya nadagam (nativity) plays, to introduce the christian religion to the indigenous public.
The head here illustrated, differently from the other two in the group, which clearly depict the passion of christ, might represent a saint close to the missionary cause, perhaps even st francis xavier, who was already canonized in 1622 and would therefore fit the description perfectly within the time frame. less
- 7.5ʺW × 7.5ʺD × 13.5ʺH
- Mid 18th Century
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.