Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Please update measurements.
Raffaello monti studied sculpture with his father, gaetano monti of ravenna, at the imperial academy. He made ... morePlease update measurements.
Raffaello monti studied sculpture with his father, gaetano monti of ravenna, at the imperial academy. He made his debut early and won a gold medal for his group entitled alexander taming bucephalus. He and other young sculptors soon became identified as belonging to the scuola lombarda, a group associated with a reaction against the severity of the neoclassicism that dominated italian sculpture in the first half of the 19th century. After periods spent working successfully in vienna and once again in milan, he made his first visit to england in 1846, but returned to italy in 1847 to join the popular party and became one of the chief officers of the national guard. After the disastrous failure of the risorgimento campaigns of 1848, he was forced to flee from italy to england where he was to remain for the rest of his life .
His career in england was extremely successful and prolific. The great exhibition of 1851 occurred only a few years after his arrival, and his reputation was largely built on the works he exhibited. His eve after the fall, awarded a prize medal, was particularly well received, but two other sculptures in the exhibition, the circassia slave and a vestal virgin established features that were to become his trade mark: the delicate rendering in solid marble of figures swathed in transparent veils. A vestal virgin, commissioned in 1847 by the duke of devonshire before the exhibition, and the dramatic the sleep of sorrow and the dream of joy, now in the victoria and albert museum, are examples of such pieces, some of which became popular through reproduction in parian ceramic.
This bust, though one of a type, is particularly finely composed and delicately carved. Although she does not wear a wreath of flowers, this young woman, with the modest tilt of her head and the veil with its elaborate lace border and scattered rose sprays almost drawn onto the material, suggests a bride rather than a vestal virgin. Often, the image of a veiled woman was intended to embody italia, in the same manner in which britannia symbolized england, hibernia symbolized ireland, and lady liberty symbolized the united states. less
- 1ʺW × 1ʺD × 29.5ʺH
- 15th Century & Earlier
- Place of Origin
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.