Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Please update measurements.
The body of this deluxe unguent container, termed a balsamarium in latin, consists of a heroic nude ... morePlease update measurements.
The body of this deluxe unguent container, termed a balsamarium in latin, consists of a heroic nude bust of a sensuous young man. His features are rendered in the classical, idealizing idiom and are characterized by thin, bushy eye- browns which merge at the root of the nose. His small, almond-shaped eyes are framed by wide lids, and the lips of his sensual mouth are both small and fleshy. He is shown wearing a thick necklace to which is attached a cylindrically- shaped phylactery of a type which contained a written prayer.
His head is turned slightly to his right. His hair is styled in thick, horizontal bands of wavy locks, the crown of which, separately made, serves as the container’s lid; this is hinged to the back of the vessel. The handle is designed as a foliate central element which duck-headed finials at each end set into oblique loops attached to the top of the head. A central strut connects the handle to the lid. A separately made pedestal, no longer extant, probably served as pedestal to support the balsamarium in an upright position.
Our balsamarium is an aesthetically accomplished work of art and belongs to a type which depicts a number of heroic nude youths, traditionally identified as either divinities or mortals. Our example has been identified as antinous, the favorite of the roman emperor hadrian. Antinous committed suicide by drowning himself in the river nile in order to fulfill an oracle which had been unfavorable to hadrian.
e. Kitzinger, handbook of the byzantine collection, dumbarton oaks (washingto, d.C., 1967), No. 99, For a related example; and j. Arce, los bronces en espãna (madrid 1990), nos. 259- 262 less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.