Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Please update measurements.
This attractive relief was part of a large marble sarcophagus, designed to commemorate an important roman individual ... morePlease update measurements.
This attractive relief was part of a large marble sarcophagus, designed to commemorate an important roman individual. The original composition depicted an entire assembly of figures in high relief. Two women are preserved on this segment: standing in the foreground is a young woman, facing the viewer, and behind her a much older companion who looks on.
Clearly the focus of the composition, the young woman has an expressive face with rounded cheeks and piercing eyes. She is dressed in a chiton belted below the breasts and has a himation draped over her shoulders and head. Her hair is neatly combed in a scalloped arrangement, following the fashion popularized by the empress julia domna during the early third century ad. The coiffure confirms that this is a portrait of a lady who lived sometime during the severan dynasty.
At that time the practice of cutting portrait heads on figures on sarcophagi reliefs was a favourite conceit of the roman world. The wealthy individuals who were able to commission such sarcophagi often selected famous mythological episodes as the subject for their monument and had the story personalised by carving the head of the protagonist to resemble their own likeness. The deceased was therefore glorified by appearing in a mythic context, taking on the guise of a famous hero or heroine and acting out the expected role within the prescribed narrative.
On this piece the young woman has chosen to be shown as a heroine of greek myth. She is accompanied by an elderly servant woman whose exaggerated features indicate a very advanced age. The servant woman is a stock figure who appears on many mythological sarcophagi, particularly those depicting phaedra’s story of forbidden love or the tragic tale of the enchantress medea. Although it is difficult to discern which of these myths is shown on this beautiful relief, the piece successfully captures the pathos of greek tragedy and transports us into a world where myth and reality loose all distinction, and where real people present themselves as actors in famous legends from the past.
For mythological sarcophagi in general see, c. Robert, ‘die antiken sarkophag-reliefs,’ vol. 3.2. (Rome, 1969). less
- 1ʺW × 1ʺD × 23.23ʺH
- 15th Century & Earlier
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.