Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Please update measurements.
Alexander the great, son of philip ii of macedon, is arguably the most important historical figure in ... morePlease update measurements.
Alexander the great, son of philip ii of macedon, is arguably the most important historical figure in the ancient world. Born on july 20th, 356 bc, he was an astute, if somewhat headstrong student, and was schooled by various famous teachers, notably aristotle. By the time of his death at the age of 32, he had personally supervised one of the largest land-based military expeditions of all time, and had conquered the whole of the then known world from asia minor across the whole of persia, anatolia, syria, phoenicia, judea, gaza, egypt, mesopotamia, bactria, parts of india, afghanistan and pakistan. A legend in his own lifetime, he became known as much for his excesses and cruelty as his extraordinary military prowess but was nonetheless a comparatively fair and temperate man. Perhaps due to his supposed descent from achilles and heracles (=hercules), he became essentially deified in the eyes of the hellenistic period, who celebrated him in art and song, and also by the romans, who had a fascination with military campaigns and tactics. As a result, he is a favourite topic for statuary, as in the present case.
This piece is carved in the hellenistic style, with intense naturalism and careful attention to detail. While the body is absent, it would undoubtedly have been diaphanously clad in the flowing robes, ceremonial weapons and celebratory insignia that tend to characterize representations of this god king. The sculpture itself shows alexander as a boy on the edge of adulthood; at this point in his life (16-18) he was acting regent of macedon, his father being away on military campaigns that would lead to his own death in 336 bc. His campaigns against rebellious sectors of greece were the first evidence of his military genius. The face, while evidently young, is determined, with set lips, a jutting chin and intense, well-modelled eyes. The hair is short yet extravagantly curly. There is a general softness about the features that is a bloom likely lost during his ten year campaign across north africa and asia.
Dating this piece is problematic, as early collectors often accumulated pieces with little thought for provenance. The styling, as stated above, is certainly hellenistic, although it is possibly later, such as a roman copy of a greek original (which were often made in bronze, and melted down at a later date; marble statues tended to survive much better). Regardless of age, however, this is a striking, well-mounted and beautifully presented piece of classical artwork that would be at home in any collection. less
- 1ʺW × 1ʺD × 6.25ʺH
- 15th Century & Earlier
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.