Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Please update measurements.
Cast in exquisite detail, this sculpture of kuan-yin is applied with red and black lacquer and gilt ... morePlease update measurements.
Cast in exquisite detail, this sculpture of kuan-yin is applied with red and black lacquer and gilt in the face and black and blue pigment in the headdress. Her oval face, aquiline nose, pursed lips, and delicately shaped downcast eyes make up her benevolent expression. A circular impression on her forehead represents the urna, a buddhist mark signifying spiritual enlightenment. Elongated earlobes, another buddhist mark, symbolized overabundant generosity. Bodhisattvas and kuan-yin figures were often adorned with jeweled earrings and other dazzling adornments, as may have once been the case with this figure. A distinctive feature of kuan-yin is her elaborate headdress—in this piece depicted by a triangular-shaped tiara, centered on the image of amitaba buddha holding a bowl amongst foliate sprigs. The tiara is delicately constructed piece by piece, held together by wiring exposed in some areas. The hair is combed and tied up in a knot encircled by the large crown.
The kuan-yin is part of the buddhist constellation of bodhisattvas, devotees who have attained enlightenment but traverse the earth to promote the teachings of buddha. Through divine example of guidance, the bodhisattvas communicate with the people, helping them cope with the difficulties of life and attain some measure of spiritual cultivation. Thus, they have become popular subjects for representation, sometimes combining their attributes with characterizations of indigenous deities or religious beliefs. Kuan-yin has a strong feminine presence in chinese art as she is also referred to as the goddess of mercy, named after her attributes of compassion and pity. less
- 1ʺW × 1ʺD × 18ʺH
- 15th Century & Earlier
- Place of Origin
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.