Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Cast bronze incense burner in the form of an elephant standing upon integral rectangular base with four zoomorphic feet and ... moreCast bronze incense burner in the form of an elephant standing upon integral rectangular base with four zoomorphic feet and openwork lobed cartouche at centre; cylindrical shaft emanates from back of elephant forming support for detachable bowl with beveled rim; tooled decoration over whole. This superb bronze incense burner was produced during a period of muslim dominance in india. Having been established by turko-afghan tribes during 12th century, the delhi sultanate would extend islam’s firm hold over india for the next 500 years. This period saw a succession of turko-afghan dynasties and the synethesis of islamic and indian culture; political institutions evolved in response to indian conditions and hindu rulers, if they paid fealty to the sultans were welcome at royal activities. By 16th century islamic and indian elements reflected a balanced synthesis, which only grew stronger over time. Many hindus spoke persian and actively cultivated iranian culture, even converting to islam by marriage. This synthesis is naturally reflected and reiterated in the arts. Metalwork was one of the major decorative arts of this period and we see the perpetration of indo- islamic forms initiated during the early sultanate period. The accentuated, near-feline form of the elephant finds parallels in the abstracted felines of contemporary islamic metalwork, which themselves borrow heavily from the persian tradition. A clear preference for stylization over naturalistic articulation is evident from, among other elements, the block treatment of the limbs, high undulating trunk and tail and twin pointy ears. The incised detailing, tooled rosettes and arabesque to the bowl similarly derive from both islamic and pre-islamic sources and articulate the spread of central asian stylistic influence in india. The stark stylistic differences between this elephant and that of a mughal incense burner of 17th century at british museum appear to indicate this piece heralds from pre-mughal india. less
- 8.1ʺW × 8.1ʺD × 10ʺH
- 15th Century & Earlier
- Place of Origin
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.