Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
As sakyamuni buddha was first of all a historical figure, incidents in his life, as in that of christ, have ...
moreAs sakyamuni buddha was first of all a historical figure, incidents in his life, as in that of christ, have always been a favourite amongst buddhist patrons and artists. Of these, his birth numbers amongst the most important, along with his conception, his achievement of enlightenment under the bodhi tree at bodhgaya, his first sermon at sarnath, the great miracle at sravasti and his parinirvana or death.
In our beautiful lintel, primed with a thin layer of lime and painted with mineral pigments, the scene follows traditional buddhist iconography. The buddha is shown born from the right side of his mother, maya, to be received by the god indra on a white drape. Maya is depicted with a double halo around her head, while indra and all the other hindu gods wear a single halo and all stand on lotus plinths. Their presence attests to their role in buddhism, simply enlisted as particularly eminent worshippers of the buddha.
Maya, the buddha’s mother, is seen wearing a white vest and holding a frond of the highly stylised foliage canopy above her and standing on a lotus bud, almost in tribanga posture. This scene refers to the immemorial fertility association in india between a young girl, or a yaksini, and a tree, recorded in countless carvings and known as ‘salabanjika’, where she bends or clings to the foliage of a tree. On her proper left, stands a woman carrying a pot of consecrated water, essential at such an event. At both sides of the central scene stand two elephants’ protomes as symbols of royalty, and from their trunks small apsaras on lotus buds emerge floating in mid-air. Another curious small figurine, all wrapped up in a double halo, standing on a lotus bud just behind the last attendant on the left, might represent again the buddha who, as the legend narrates, was able to walk and speak at birth, thus providing a double-layer narrative composition.
The treatment of the garments strongly suggests graeco-roman influence, which was indeed pervasive in gandhara in the first centuries of the common era; yet at the same time the costumes and turbans are indian, with the exception of maya’s tunic which seems ethnically kusana.
Reference: (for a similar scene in carving in the ashmolean museum in oxford) j.C. Harle, the art and architecture of the indian sub-continent, london, 1986: fig.58. less
- 31ʺW × 1ʺD × 13.5ʺH
- 15th Century & Earlier
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
- Place of Origin
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.