Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Please update measurements.
The ancient civilization of gandhara was located in the region encompassing modern northeastern afghanistan and northwestern pakistan ... morePlease update measurements.
The ancient civilization of gandhara was located in the region encompassing modern northeastern afghanistan and northwestern pakistan. Situated at a confluence of trading paths along the silk route, the area was flooded in diverse cultural influences ranging from greece to china. Gandhara flourished under the kushan dynasty and their great king, kanishka, who is traditionally given credit for spreading the philosophies of buddhism throughout central asia and into china. This period is viewed as the most important era in the history of buddhism. After the conquests of alexander the great, the creation of greco-bactrian kingdoms, and the general hellenization of the subcontinent, western aesthetics became prominent. Greek influence began permeating into gandhara. Soon sculptors based the images of the buddha on greco-roman models, depicting him as a stocky and youthful apollo, complete with stretched earlobes and loose monastic robes similar to a roman toga. The extraordinary artistic creations of gandhara reveal link between the different worlds of the east and west.
The historical figure, buddha gautama sakyamuni is the buddha of compassion who, having achieved the highest evolutionary perfection, turns suffering into happiness for all living beings. Born around 560 b.C. Somewhere between the hills of south nepal and the rapti river, his father was a raja who ruled over the northeastern province of india, the district including the holy ganges river. The young prince was married to yashoda when he was about 17 years old and together they had a son named rahula. At the age of 29, he left his life of luxury, as he felt compelled to purify his body and make it an instrument of the mind by ridding himself of earthly impulses and temptations. This sculptural fragment depicts the bust of the buddha. An inner calm and complacency is visible in his sweet smile. The sharply defined eyebrows arch gently downwards into his long, narrow nose. Such features are characteristic of the gandhara style. His hair is composed of rows of miniature spirals rendered in low relief. His head is crowned by a prominent ushnisa, or topknot, that is a symbol of his divine wisdom. The ushnisa is covered with the same spiral motif that conveys the texture of his curly hair. The artists of gandhara were the first to represent the buddha in his human form, as opposed to a symbol such as his footprint. This gorgeous head is a reminder of an ancient civilization that, although vanished, helped spread the teachings of enlightenment throughout the heart of asia. less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.