Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
The toltec civilization first gained ascendany in the valley of mexico around 900 a.D., After the fall of teotihuacan ...
moreThe toltec civilization first gained ascendany in the valley of mexico around 900 a.D., After the fall of teotihuacan. Although their origins and early history are obscure, the toltecs appear to have ancient ties to both the mixtec and the zapotec. The word toltec means “master builders” in the nahuatl language, a testament to the sophistication of toltec constructions. Their art and architecture was highly influenced by teotihuacan as well as the ancient olmec culture. The toltecs were technologically advanced, capable of smelting metals. Their stonework was impeccable as the ruins of tula demonstrate. This archaeological site is believed to be tollan, the legendary capital of the toltec civilization referred to in a number of postconquest sources. Their social structure was headed by an elite class of warriors. Excavation have uncovered the ceremonial center that included a pyramid structure topped by a temple dedicated to the hero-god quetzalcoatl.
This stunning toltec vessel, known as plumbate ware, is distinguished by its attractive glassy luster, which was produced by covering the vessel in a slip high in iron and aluminum content and then firing the pot at high temperatures. Greatly prized as a luxury item, plumbate vessels such as this formed a unique component in the repertoire of mesoamerican art. During the height of the toltec civilization, plumbate works were produced at only one place: on the pacific slope of the soconusco region in modern guatemala. Furthermore, the process by which it was made seems to have been a closely guarded secret. Such wares were highly valued throughout mesoamerica and were traded along commercial networks that extended as far as panama. Plumbate was so desirable in part because it maintains an exceptional hardness that can be scarcely scratched with steel.
Although the plumbate head has a beautiful vitrified surface that has been enhanced with incision lines, it maintains an exceptional hardness that can be scarcely scratched with steel. Such sturdy plumbate head effigy vessel, thus, retained its beautiful orange color and incision enhancements. As many effigy vessels from toltec consists of gods, men, and animals, this specific head perhaps represents tlaloc, the rain god. Although the sculpture resembles a human head, one cannot overlook the representational features of the rain god– deeply incised circular eyes and a fringe beard. Representing the powerful god, tlaloc, this plumbates head holds a great value as it did during the toltec era. Having been made exclusively in one region during a brief period of time, with a secretive method, this plumbate head is a valuable rarity from mesoamerican history. less
- 5ʺW × 5ʺD × 5.75ʺH
- 15th Century & Earlier
- Place of Origin
- Terra Cotta
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.