Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Exceptional in both craftsmanship and provenance, this outstanding porcelain service boasts a prestigious lineage. Crafted by the renowned Derby and ... moreExceptional in both craftsmanship and provenance, this outstanding porcelain service boasts a prestigious lineage. Crafted by the renowned Derby and Duesbury manufacturers, this remarkable service was specially commissioned by Douglas, the 8th Duke of Hamilton, 5th Duke of Brandon, as replacements for an original Chinese Export Service ordered by his grandfather the 5th Duke in 1737. A nearly identical porcelain dish from this earlier set is currently held in the collection of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Beautifully executed, the Derby porcelain service features the Duke of Hamilton coat of arms at its center, surrounded by opulent swags of ermine and pink fabric. Three sprays of beige and gilt flowers in the Oriental-style partially surround the crest and line the edges of each dish. Included in this exquisite service are: A pair of lidded oval soup tureens A pair of 18 1/2” oval platters A 16” oval platter Five 14 1/2” oval platters Seven 13” oval platters A pair of rectangular shallow dishes A pair of scalloped circular deep bowl Four scalloped oval monteiths A pair of wine coolers A pair of fruit coolers, covers and liners Three pierced oval baskets Four shell-shaped dishes A 12 3/4” lozenge shaped dish A pair of 11” lozenge shapes dishes A pair of 10 1/2” lozenge shaped dishes Four scalloped circular saucer dishes Three square dishes Three oval dishes A 9” oval dish Three 8 3/4” oval dishes Twenty-one 9” plates Established in 1750 in Derby, Crown Derby Porcelain is distinguished as the oldest remaining English porcelain manufacturer, and is to this day renowned for its high-quality tableware and ornamental porcelain. Under the direction of William Duesbury and his son, William II, in the late 18th century, the Derby company quickly rose in prominence, gaining distinction from King George III in 1773. Today, important porcelain works from the Derby makers are held in significant public and private collections around the world, including the Victoria and Albert Museum and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. A wine cooler from a service is pictured on page 146 of Derby Porcelain, 1976, by J Twitchett, circa 1780-1790 Each piece is fully marked with either the "Duesbury / London" stamp or the Crown Derby Porcelain stamp. References: Derby Porcelain, 1976, J Twitchett Derby Porcelain,1965, F. Brayshaw Gilhespy. less
- 18.5ʺW × 18.5ʺD × 1ʺH
- Mid 18th Century
- English Traditional
- Condition Notes
- EXCELLENT EXCELLENT less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.