This product is no longer available.
This monumental Boulle commode was crafted by Robert Blake, one of the finest and most important English cabinetmakers of his ... moreThis monumental Boulle commode was crafted by Robert Blake, one of the finest and most important English cabinetmakers of his time. It is modeled after the legendary pair of commodes made for France’s King Louis XIV by master ébéniste André-Charles Boulle, which is perhaps the most famous and esteemed of all the treasures now housed at the Palace of Versailles. Constructed of ebony and enveloped on all sides with phenomenal tortoiseshell and doré bronze marquetry and ormolu mounts of undeniable skill and artistry, this commode is the pinnacle of furniture craftsmanship. The original commodes made by Boulle inspired re-interpretations by history’s most esteemed craftsmen. First created and supplied in 1708 by Boulle for Louis XIV’s bedchamber at Versailles, the original pair was one of only four furnishings deemed worthy enough to be rescued from both destruction and sale after the French Revolution. They were placed in the Bibliothèque Mazarine at the Institut de France, where they became known as the Mazarine Commodes, but have since been returned to Versailles. What sets this commode apart is the presence of the marks of Robert Blake. The Blake family of cabinet makers was known for their breathtaking executed Boulle-style marquetry. Blake’s signed works are housed in the Victoria & Albert Museum, the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Frick Collection, at which a very similar pair of commodes signed by Blake resides. Blake's stamp is featured behind the front left lion paw, circa 1820 Measure: 48 1/4” wide x 24 3/4” deep x 34” high. less
- 48.25ʺW × 24.75ʺD × 34ʺH
- Mid 19th Century
- Condition Notes
- EXCELLENT EXCELLENT less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.