Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
The marquetry technique perfected by master ébéniste André-Charles Boulle in the 17th century inspired the most gifted ... moreThe marquetry technique perfected by master ébéniste André-Charles Boulle in the 17th century inspired the most gifted cabinetmakers of his time to embrace this remarkable craft so much so that the process now bears his name. This incredible Louis XIV cabinet, or bibliothèque, was created by the distinguished ébéniste Nicolas Sageot and is one of only a handful known to be marked with his stamp. Sageot and Boulle were the two greatest ébénistes of the 17th century. To acquire a grand example of Sageot’s work, especially one stamped with his mark, is to acquire an important piece of decorative arts history. The entire façade is adorned with a most luxurious tortoiseshell, brass boulle marquetry and ormolu mounts of unprecedented quality. The quality of Sageot's work on such a monumental cabinet is superb and is perhaps his crowning achievement. A similar, yet less ornate bibliothèque is pictured in Le Mobilier Français du XVIII Siècle by Pierre Kjellberg, 1998, page 767. Stamped “Nicolas Sageot.” circa 1715. Nicolas Sageot (1666-1731) is first recorded as working in the Grande Rue du Faubourg Saint-Antoine in 1698 as an ouvrier libre or free workman and became a member of the cabinetmaker's guild and master eight years later. In 1711, he married Marie Brigitte Roussel, daughter of the ébéniste Jacques Roussel, and operated a thriving workshop that specialized in the production of commodes, armoires and desks. In 1720, he retired unexpectedly at the rather young age of 54, leaving behind a body of work that is comparable only to that of the legendary André-Charles Boulle. He was one of very few ébénistes of his time to occasionally stamp his furniture, and of those few, an even smaller number have ever been identified. His works have been discovered in a handful of museums and royal collections including The Wallace Collection and the Swedish Royal Collection in Stockholm. less
- 62ʺW × 24.5ʺD × 100ʺH
- 17th Century
- Condition Notes
- EXCELLENT EXCELLENT less
More From This DealerView All
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.