Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Synonymous with royalty since its inception, the Royal Copenhagen Porcelain Manufactory's resplendent Flora Danica porcelain service has remained the crowning ... moreSynonymous with royalty since its inception, the Royal Copenhagen Porcelain Manufactory's resplendent Flora Danica porcelain service has remained the crowning achievement of the European decorative arts for over 200 years. The 143-pieces in this exemplary Flora Danica porcelain dinner service for 12 boasts rich, hand-painted botanical motifs taken directly from the plate illustrations of the Danish atlas of the botany of the same name. Distinguishing this particular service is the inclusion of incredibly rare aquatic motifs featuring some of Denmark's native fish species. Each a unique work of art executed with meticulous skill and artistry, the underside of each piece is labeled with the Latin name of the flower or fish depicted in the design. Reputed to be one of the most original and inspired products of the European art industry from the golden age of porcelain, Flora Danica is one of the last luxury services still in production. A work of scientific examination as well as artistic mastery, the designs are culled from George Christian Oeder's 1771 publication Flora Danica (Flowers of Denmark), an encyclopedia including 3,000 hand-colored copper plate prints depicting every wild plant known to exist in Denmark, including mosses, fungi, ferns and flowers. The creation of the Flora Danica service was the life's work of Johann Christoph Bayer, one of the most gifted porcelain artists of the late 18th century. Commissioned in 1790 by King Christian VII of Denmark for Empress Catherine the Great of Russia, it took Bayer over 12 years to complete the service. Unfortunately, Catherine died in 1796 before it was complete, and the service was then placed in the collection of the Danish Royal Family. Flora Danica was first used on January 29, 1803, for the banquet celebrating the birthday of King Christian VII. Since that time, this exquisite pattern has remained the centerpiece of ceremonial occasions, weddings, and visits by foreign dignitaries. Today, pieces of Flora Danica are exhibited in the Danish Royal Collections of Rosenborg Castle and Amalienborg Palace, as well as Queen Elizabeth II's private collection at Windsor Castle. All pieces display Royal Copenhagen marks and are in excellent condition. This 143-piece service comprises: 12 fish dinner plates 12 botanical dinner plates 12 botanical 9" reticulated & pierced plates 24 botanical teacup saucers 12 botanical 7 3/4" round plates 12 botanical 5 1/2" round plates 12 botanical 8 3/4" plates 12 botanical round custard cups 12 botanical custard cup saucers botanical 14 1/2" circular serving dish botanical 15 1/2" circular serving dish botanical oval platter botanical deep square salad bowl botanical round tapered salad bowl botanical 9" round salad bowl botanical 10 3/4" fruit stand botanical 9 3/4" handled dish botanical 8 1/4" pickle dish botanical 7" pickle dish botanical 6 1/4" pickle dish botanical 9 3/4" triangular cake dish botanical ice dome with stand botanical salt dish botanical small sugar jar botanical oval serving platter with lid botanical fruit basket botanical monteith botanical large sugar bowl botanical tureen botanical soup tureen stand botanical gravy boat less
- 9ʺW × 9ʺD × 1ʺH
- Early 20th Century
- Condition Notes
- EXCELLENT EXCELLENT less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.