Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
This rare and monumental marble fireplace mantel is crafted from the finest Carrara marble. A masterpiece of Georgian architectural design ... moreThis rare and monumental marble fireplace mantel is crafted from the finest Carrara marble. A masterpiece of Georgian architectural design, the mantel's flowing lines blend gracefully with its neoclassical elements. At once organic and structural, Rococo-style scrolls and flower garlands are joined with symmetrical ram's head ornaments and a central cameo plaque. Exhibiting the highest quality stonework and carving, this stunning mantel would be at home in the world's most luxurious homes and palaces. Excellent condition. circa 1780 Measures: 88" wide 4 1/2" deep x 50 3/4" high Originally built over a fireplace opening to catch the smoke, mantels or the decorative framework around the fireplace, were for many centuries the most ornamental and artistic feature of a room and the focus of custom interior decoration. A mantel traditionally offered a unique opportunity for the architect/designer to create a personal statement unique to the room they were creating. In its design, a sculptor or artisan could demonstrate expertise in carving each of the fine decorative adornments. Elements such as capitals, moldings, brackets, figures, animals, fruits and vegetation were commonly used to enhance a mantel. More than the material, it was the skillfulness of the carving that defined the quality of the mantelpiece, thus highlighting the magnificence of the room. In the 18th century, classically-inspired architects became influenced by the French work of Louis XIV and XV. Figure sculpture was introduced, generally represented by graceful figures on each side and assisted to carry the shelf. The over-mantel developed into an elaborate frame for the family portrait over the chimneypiece. Toward the close of the 18th century, the designs of the Adam Brothers superseded all others and a century later they came again into fashion. The Adam mantels are made of wood enriched with ornament, cast in molds, sometimes copied from the carved wood decoration of old times. less
- 88ʺW × 4.5ʺD × 50.75ʺH
- Mid 18th Century
- Place of Origin
- Very Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- EXCELLENT EXCELLENT less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.