This product is no longer available.
Achille Laugé 1861-1944 French Arbres en Fleur à Alet-les-Bains (Flowering Trees in Alet-les-Bains) Signed and dated "A. Laugé 1924" (lower ... moreAchille Laugé 1861-1944 French Arbres en Fleur à Alet-les-Bains (Flowering Trees in Alet-les-Bains) Signed and dated "A. Laugé 1924" (lower right) Oil on canvas This enchanting Neo-Impressionist landscape by the French artist Achille Laugé captures the blossoming of spring in his celebrated pointillist style. The work is representative of the artist's enduring attachment to Alet-Les-Bains, a picturesque commune in the south of France where he eventually established a studio. The idyllic village, with its meadows, gardens, medieval ruins and blossoming almond trees, inspired some of the best works of the artist's oeuvre, and the present work can be counted among them. In this vibrant oil on canvas entitled Arbres en Fleur à Alet-les-Bains, a pointillist sky is painted so that it is shimmering and radiant, and the landscape reflects Laugé's brightly colored world. The flowering almond trees - a favored subject for Laugé - are captured with splashes of pink against the array of greens, blues, and yellows that form the French landscape. His trademark pointillist style is on full display, with thick points of pigment and bright colors that create a stunning scene full of vitality and light. Born in 1861 the son of wealthy farmers, he moved to Toulouse at the age of 17 to study pharmacy. At this time, he also enrolled part-time at the school of the Beaux-Arts, where he befriended the artist Bourdelle. Three years later he moved to Paris, where he studied under the famous masters Alexandre Cabandel and Aristide Maillol, making his debut at the Salon in 1884. Like many other artists of his generation, Laugé eventually rejected the conservative ideals of this teacher, falling under the Post-Impressionist influence of George Seurat. By 1888, his landscapes became assiduous experiments in complementary colors and light on canvas. He exhibited three paintings at the Salon des Indépendants in 1894, as well as with the Nabis that same year. In addition, Laugé held several one-man shows in Paris, Toulouse and Perpignan from 1907 to 1930. Today, his exceptional works can be found in museums throughout France, including the Musée D'Orsay in Paris. This work will be included in the forthcoming Laugé Catalogue Raisonné being prepared by Nicole Tamburini. Canvas: 21 3/8" high x 29" wide Frame: 30" high x 37 1/2" wide less
- 37.5ʺW × 1ʺD × 30ʺH
- Early 20th Century
- Oil Paint
- Condition Notes
- EXCELLENT EXCELLENT less
- Art Subject
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.