Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Created for Pope Pius VII by the special order of King Friedrich Wilhelm III as a symbol of peace and ... moreCreated for Pope Pius VII by the special order of King Friedrich Wilhelm III as a symbol of peace and friendship, this incredible, monumentally sized porcelain tazza was crafted by KPM (Königliche Porzellan-Manufaktur). After the successful Concordat of 1821 and the Congress of Verona in 1822, the King ordered two similar tazze to be made especially for the pontiff. The mate to our tazza is currently displayed at Charlottenburg Castle in Berlin. Commissioned by the King of Prussia as a personal gift to the Pope, and created by one of the greatest names in porcelain, this gorgeous tazza is not only an awe-inspiring work of art, but also one of the most significant Papal artifacts to ever come on the market. Without question, the richness and intricacy of the craftsmanship displayed in this tazza is indicative of objects made for the Pope. According to KPM records, each “peace dish” was modelled by Johann Gottfried Schadow and painted by Johann Carl Friedrich Riese to commemorate the end of two wars that took a tremendous toll on Prussia. The present tazza is detailed with Berlin’s Kreuzberg Liberation Monument in remembrance of the end of the Wars of Liberation (1813-1815), while the mate in Berlin commemorates the end of the Seven Years War (1756-1763), depicting the Neues Palais in Potsdam. Unfortunately, the King’s gift was never delivered to the Vatican, since Pope Pius VII died in 1823 before the gift was completed. The pair of tazze were then officially acquired by the Prussian Palaces. Measuring nearly two feet in diameter, this remarkable tazza features the intricate topographical view of the Monument, surrounded by a bouquet of the most realistically rendered spring flowers of diverse colors and varieties, while borders of majestic gilt relief encircle the meticulously hand-painted motifs. Marked by a fascinating provenance and exhibiting majestic workmanship, this tazza is an exceptional and historically significant work of art. This important porcelain tazza was once part of the famed Twininght collection of Royal Porcelain, New York. circa 1823 Measures: 20 1/2" diameter x 13 3/4" high. less
- 20.5ʺW × 20.5ʺD × 13.75ʺH
- Mid 19th Century
- KPM Porcelain
- Condition Notes
- EXCELLENT EXCELLENT less
More From This DealerView All
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.