Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Magnificent emeralds and rubies comprise this stunning Indian chess set. Carved with the utmost skill by artists in Jaipur, India ... moreMagnificent emeralds and rubies comprise this stunning Indian chess set. Carved with the utmost skill by artists in Jaipur, India in the ancient Mogul style, this set features 1,764 carats of rubies as the red side, while 1,160.5 carats of emeralds were carved to serve as the green side. The two opposing armies, with warriors riding elephants (with a driver for the kings), horses and camels, and pawns on foot, face each other in their best 24-karat gold-painted finery, and each piece was carved of a single unpolished gem. Meeting on a field of frosted glass set into a mahogany base, this set is one of the most intriguing we have ever seen. Date: 20th century. King: 2" high. Board measures: 201/4" square x 4 5/8" high. The game of chess was first played in India in the sixth century. Known then as Chaturanga, which means "four limbs" in Sanskrit, the game had two essential features which tie it to chess as we know it today. First, different pieces made different moves, which distinguished it from games such as checkers and Go, and secondly, victory depended on the fate of one piece, the king. There are, however, some aspects of Indian chess that are different from the game as it is played today. Instead of black and white, traditional colors were green and red, as exhibited in this set. Chess was not only a game to be played for recreation, but represented the Indian military strategy of the past era. It was featured in the epic poem, the Mahabharata, in which the name Chaturanga means "army," with its four parts, or limbs, being elephants, chariots, horsemen, foot soldiers. The pieces had different names, as modern pieces take their names from European titles. Indian pieces are called raja (king), minister (queen), the bishop is hathi, or elephant, a knight is known as a ghora, rooks are ratha and the pawns are known as padah. In addition, it is also believed that chess was originally a dice game, with gambling, but that this aspect was removed due to Hindu and Muslim religious objections. less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.