Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
This beautifully carved America-France Liberty cabinet was created for the Louisiana State Exhibit at the 1904 St. Louis World’s ... moreThis beautifully carved America-France Liberty cabinet was created for the Louisiana State Exhibit at the 1904 St. Louis World’s Fair, also known as the Louisiana Purchase Exposition. Crafted of walnut, this cabinet celebrates both the special relationship between the United States and France and the amazing variety of life to be found in the Louisiana Territory. A tour-de-force of Louisiana artistry, this cupboard was included in one of the most important expositions of art, industry and culture of all time. This one-of-a-kind cupboard’s outstanding design blends rich symbolism with exceptional artistry. The highly detailed carvings tell the story of French and American cooperation and the two countries’ mutual love of liberty and cultural excellence. The top finial bears representations of Marianne, France’s symbol of liberty, and her two children, France and Louisiana, are joined by America’s Lady Liberty on the cabinet’s top half. Surrounding these highly important symbols are intricate carvings of lush animal and plant life, and portrait medallions representing the many different historical figures, including Theodore Roosevelt and Mark Twain. The cabinet’s lower half is equally symbolic. Two busts that almost certainly portray Thomas Jefferson, the chief architect of the Louisiana Purchase, and Philippe II, duc d’Orléans, for whom the city of New Orleans is named, take a prominent position. And the Exposition itself is honored with tableaux carved in bas relief on the lower cupboard doors. These display symbols of music, writing, painting, drama and sculpture on the left, and agriculture and industry on the right, with carvings of a watering can, scythe, protractor and compass, all tools of the art and industry that made the territory so great in only a century’s time. Furniture featured at the St. Louis World’s Fair, one of the most magnificent ever to be held, was among the finest made during the 19th and early 20th centuries. Exhibitors came from all parts of the United States and the four corners of the globe, and to be chosen to exhibit was truly a great honor. To find an item that was featured, especially one of such incredible meaning and in such excellent condition, is extraordinary. circa 1904 Measures: 48” wide x 22” deep x 96” high Exhibitions: Cabinet to be exhibited in Making America: Myth, Memory, Identity, a major traveling exhibition around Colonial Revival. Curated by the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. less
- 48ʺW × 22ʺD × 96ʺH
- Early 20th Century
- Condition Notes
- EXCELLENT EXCELLENT less
- Black Storage Cabinets & Cupboards
- Brown Storage Cabinets & Cupboards
- Chocolate Storage Cabinets & Cupboards
- Early American Storage Cabinets & Cupboards
- Ebony Storage Cabinets & Cupboards
- New Orleans Storage Cabinets & Cupboards
- Religious Storage Cabinets & Cupboards
- Traditional Storage Cabinets & Cupboards
- Walnut Storage Cabinets & Cupboards
- Wood Storage Cabinets & Cupboards
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.