Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
This magnificent pair of French giltwood armchairs is crafted in the manner of the Maison Jeanselme, the firm that created ... moreThis magnificent pair of French giltwood armchairs is crafted in the manner of the Maison Jeanselme, the firm that created similar armchairs commissioned by Napoleon for General Jean-André Masséna, one of the greatest generals under the emperor’s command. From the meticulously hand-carved winged griffons and lion paw feet, to the graceful lines and bold proportions, these chairs are incredible examples of the luxurious and regal Empire style. Chairs of this caliber are rarities on the market. To find an original pair in such incredible condition and workmanship is exceptional. When Napoleon Bonaparte became Emperor of France in 1804, a new period in decorative arts was ushered in to convey the majestic grandeur that Napoleon felt fitting to honor his glory, and the Empire style was born. The last of the great French styles that widely influenced furniture design throughout the world, the Empire style was informed by the classical vocabulary of great ancient empires. The classical world of the Greeks and Romans had already long held the fascination of architects and designers throughout Europe by the time Napoleon came to rule France, but Napoleon was able to use symbols from antiquity in a way that would be relevant to his time and place–namely, to promote his Empire and link the regime to powerful ancient cultures, circa 1840. Measures: 28 1/4” wide x 32” deep x 36 5/8” high. less
- 28.25ʺW × 32ʺD × 36.63ʺH
- Mid 19th Century
- Place of Origin
- Condition Notes
- EXCELLENT EXCELLENT less
- Seat Height
- 36.63 inches
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.