Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Monumental in size and exquisitely crafted, this extraordinary French tapestry was woven by the famed Aubusson manufactory. The stunning work ... moreMonumental in size and exquisitely crafted, this extraordinary French tapestry was woven by the famed Aubusson manufactory. The stunning work was inspired by the Rococo master François Boucher's Neptune and Amymone: The Allegory of Water, which he painted in 1764 and now hangs in the Palace of Versailles. The impressive tapestry mirrors the indulgent and opulent Rococo taste of the Louis XV period. Aubusson, renowned for its handwoven carpets, created Fine tapestries such as this to adorn noble and royal residences. Long recognized for their superb weavings, Aubusson tapestries are difficult to find in such wonderful condition. The scene is based on a legend from classical mythology, which tells the story of Neptune, the god of the sea, and Amymone. After Neptune lost the Greek village of Argolis to Hera, the Queen of Olympus, he dried up the water and made the entire region barren in revenge. Danaus, the mythical King of Libya, sent his 50 daughters, the Danaides, in search of water. One of his daughters, Amymone, crossed paths with a satyr during her quest; when he attempted to attack her, Neptune appeared and chased the creature away. The god then revealed to her the location of the springs of Lerna, ending the drought and saving Argolis. The tale is dramatically rendered here with stunning artistry and realism. In terms of rarity, subject matter and skill, this is truly an extraordinary French tapestry. Signed and dated F. Duplan G. Hanot and Aubusson 1877. Measure: 136" high x 173" wide. For centuries, the town of Aubusson has been famous for the manufacture of superior tapestries and carpets. Aubusson weavers worked independently until 1743 when royal workshops were established to manufacture their textiles primarily for the nobility and royal residences. In 1869, Aubusson founded a National School of Decorative Arts to maintain the manufactory's high standards of hand looming, which remain the principal occupation of the town even today. Aubusson tapestries can be found in museums, castles and churches throughout France as well as in most major museums in the United States and Great Britain. less
- 173ʺW × 1ʺD × 136ʺH
- Mid 19th Century
- Condition Notes
- EXCELLENT EXCELLENT less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.