Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
This amazing and extremely rare Bavarian Biedermeier-period pharmacy balance stand would have been at home at any apothecary’s shop ... moreThis amazing and extremely rare Bavarian Biedermeier-period pharmacy balance stand would have been at home at any apothecary’s shop during the mid-19th century. Crafted of walnut with bold giltwood accents, this stand holds eight separate sets of balances with brass beams and pointers, and weighing pans made of Horn, brass and porcelain. The balances measure out varying sizes; the largest is capable of measuring up to 500 grams, while smallest weighs up to 5 grams. Such balances would have been essential tools in the practice of compounding, or creating customized medications to suit a specific patient's needs. The delicate porcelain scales even indicate what they were used to weigh: one set is marked “Jodoform,” or iodoform, a disinfectant and antiseptic once used to treat wounds, and the other is marked “Venena,” which is Latin for “poisons.” Each scale also exhibits stamps indicating that they have been tested for accuracy. It is extremely rare to find such a large array of scales, especially those in such wonderful condition, in one collection. This intriguing piece is a must for any medical antiques enthusiast. The units of measurement in which apothecaries worked were often minute: grains, scruples, drams and ounces. As they were typically used to measure very small amounts of ingredients, apothecary and analytical balances such as these needed to be accurate and very sensitive. The first such balances appeared in the 18th century, coincidentally as great strides were being made in the scientific and medical arts during the enlightenment, circa 1825 Measure: 20 1/2” diameter x 30 3/4” high. less
- 20.5ʺW × 20.5ʺD × 30.75ʺH
- Mid 19th Century
- Condition Notes
- EXCELLENT EXCELLENT less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.