Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
A remarkable Georgian sterling silver epergne by London silversmiths John Lawford and William Vincent. The entire epergne is beautifully embellished ... moreA remarkable Georgian sterling silver epergne by London silversmiths John Lawford and William Vincent. The entire epergne is beautifully embellished with fruits and vines, and the central basket is surmounted by two delightful cherubs. The four glass bowls are also surrounded by vine and fruit decoration. Epergnes have been a lasting symbol of dining elegance and social status for over 300 years. The crafting of an epergne was considered to be the true test of skill for a silversmith. They were considered more than dining pieces, but as status symbols of influence and taste. The term epergne is used to describe a table centerpiece made of silver or glass that has a central bowl and branches from which hang delicate baskets to hold sweets, relishes, condiments or candles. It can also refer to a centerpiece that has trumpet-shaped vases to hold fresh flowers. These impressive and intricate centerpieces were made from the middle of the 18th century to the end of the 19th century. It is believed that the design of the epergne is an evolution of several dining pieces. The nef, a dining centerpiece in the form of a boat, originated in the Middle Ages and was used to hold salt or other condiments. Other influences include the salt, a ceremonial dish used in the Elizabethan period, and the surtout de table, a French centerpiece popular in the early 18th century. By the mid-1700s, the form had evolved to what we know today as the epergne. Hallmarked London, 1766. 14 1/2" high. Total weight: 73 ounces. less
- 21ʺW × 21ʺD × 14.5ʺH
- Condition Notes
- EXCELLENT EXCELLENT less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.