Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
This majestic French walnut armoire is a stunning example of the Provincial style. Standing nearly nine feet high, this rare ... moreThis majestic French walnut armoire is a stunning example of the Provincial style. Standing nearly nine feet high, this rare armoire featuring splendid rocaille carvings above its double doors and a wonderfully rich patina. Original mountings, double bolt locking mechanism and large key characterize this brilliant 18th-century furnishing. The first armoires appeared in France during the latter half of the 17th century and were most often the dominant feature of the home. These large cupboards were used to hold a family’s belongings from linens to clothing to silver and even food. Cabinetmakers drew their inspiration from the cupboards of Italy, Germany and Spain, but by the reign of Louis XV, the French armoire had reached its height of popularity and possessed a distinctly French flair. Originating in France in the 18th century, the French Provincial style was born of the ornate Louis XV and Rococo. However, it was crafted by furniture makers in the provinces, outside of the cities. By nature, its beauty relies more on form, function and available materials, and less on ostentatious decorative elements, such as gilding or intricate marquetry. Crafted of different kinds of solid wood, depending on the region (oak, walnut, elm, fruitwoods and sometimes mahogany), these pieces were carved with great artistry and skill, yet were made to be functional and long lasting. Though less exuberant than Louis XV and XVI design, French Provincial furniture was less labor-intense, but exhibited a more serene and approachable splendor. Late 18th century Measures: 73" wide x 30" deep x 107 1/2" high. less
- 73ʺW × 30ʺD × 107.5ʺH
- Mid 18th Century
- Place of Origin
- Condition Notes
- EXCELLENT EXCELLENT less
- Brown Armoires Wardrobes & Linen Presses
- French Provincial Armoires Wardrobes & Linen Presses
- Louis XV Armoires Wardrobes & Linen Presses
- New Orleans Armoires Wardrobes & Linen Presses
- Shabby Chic Armoires Wardrobes & Linen Presses
- Traditional Armoires Wardrobes & Linen Presses
- Walnut Armoires Wardrobes & Linen Presses
- Wood Armoires Wardrobes & Linen Presses
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.