Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Signed “Guilbert” (lower right); also inscribed en verso Oil on canvas Inondation is a significant landscape by French Post-Impressionist Narcisse ... moreSigned “Guilbert” (lower right); also inscribed en verso Oil on canvas Inondation is a significant landscape by French Post-Impressionist Narcisse Guilbert, dealing with the impacts of industrialization on the pristine landscape of his hometown of Rouen. He was a leading member of the Rouen School and was heavily influenced by the breathtaking atmosphere of this northern French city along the River Seine. With broad brushstrokes and subdued color palette, Guilbert makes a powerful statement on the effects of progress and industrialization on an area that’s splendor gave inspiration to generations of artists. The artist gives the viewer a vantage point overlooking the Seine, illustrating the lifeless land juxtaposed against light blue waters and sky. Guilbert moved to Rouen with his widowed mother when he was a boy. The pair had a difficult time making ends meet, with the young man working as a courier to support the household. Realizing he had artistic talent, Guilbert enrolled into the École des Beaux-Arts of Rouen in 1895. From the time of the Romantics, the city of Rouen has attracted artists from all disciplines. The Impressionists were highly inspired by the architecture and natural scenery of this capital city of Normandy. Monet, Pissarro, Sisley and Gauguin all traveled to Rouen for extended periods during their careers, capturing such landmarks as Rouen Cathedral of Notre Dame. Artists such as Guilbert were influenced by these masters, and their unique interpretations led to the formation of the “School of Rouen”, fostering Pointillist, Cubist and other related movements. Circa 1915 Canvas: 18 1/4” high x 25 1/2” wide Frame: 27 1/8” high x 34 1/8” wide Artist’s Museums: Musée des Beaux-Arts, Rouen less
- 34.13ʺW × 1ʺD × 27.13ʺH
- Early 20th Century
- Condition Notes
- EXCELLENT EXCELLENT less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.