Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
This phenomenal Louis XV style French mirror features an elegant shape and an undulating, intricately carved giltwood frame. Composed of ... moreThis phenomenal Louis XV style French mirror features an elegant shape and an undulating, intricately carved giltwood frame. Composed of flawless beveled glass, this mirror is a study in Rococo glamour, with its asymmetrical, foliate decoration of falling acanthus leaves, C-scrolls and quatrefoil trellis accents. A highly unique and prized specimen of 19th century French design, the mirror's grand proportion and luxurious design are certain to add a commanding touch to any interior. Large mirrors such as this are incredibly rare and difficult to find in such superb condition, circa 1860. Measures: 42" wide x 82" high. A revival of the luxurious Louis XV style took place in France in the mid-19th century. It came about as part of the preference during this period, known as the Second Empire, for a mixture of styles from previous centuries. Largely due to the influence of Emperor Napoleon III, who wished to have his name associated with the classical grandeur of Rome and cement his place in French history, Eclecticism reigned as craftsmen revisited the most opulent styles from decades past and created their own elaborate versions. Artisans found their inspiration in the designs of many time periods, including the Renaissance, Baroque, Rococo and Neoclassic Louis XVI. Inspiration also came from the near and far East, as the treasures of China, Japan and Constantinople made their way to Europe. Mirrors have always been among the most prized possessions of the great houses of Europe. For centuries, the Venetians were the leaders in producing mirrors of any substantial size, though even those examples were small by today's standards. The discovery in 1688 of a method for producing massive sheets of glass revolutionized interior decorating and it seemed fitting that France would dominate the production of fine quality mirror glass during the 18th century, even going so far as to prohibit the importation of glass from anywhere in Europe. And, though they were in high demand, examples of such exceptional size and opulence were very rare, as the glass was extremely difficult, dangerous and expensive to produce and the frames very time consuming to create. Reference: World Mirrors: 1650-1900, 1990, Graham Child. less
- 42ʺW × 3ʺD × 82ʺH
- Mid 18th Century
- Louis XV
- Condition Notes
- EXCELLENT EXCELLENT less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.