Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
A glorious example of 19th century Viennese craftsmanship, this beautiful covered urn is hand-wrought from exquisite agate. Majestic silver mounts ... moreA glorious example of 19th century Viennese craftsmanship, this beautiful covered urn is hand-wrought from exquisite agate. Majestic silver mounts feature brilliant enameling of exceptional quality, with a pair of figural handles in the form of sensuous maidens serving as handles and a bouquet of flowers forming the final. Boasting a mastery of hardstone workmanship, enameling, and silversmithing, this wonderful objet d'art is a rare and desirable specimen of Viennese artistry Vienna emerged as a major center for producing fine enamel works around the middle of the 19th century, due in part to the formation of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, which in 1866 gave Vienna access to Bohemian and Transylvanian silver and gold. Add to that the availability of a willing workforce and Vienna was producing a lion’s share of enamel works during the 19th century. The Renaissance, heroic tableaux and the romantic paintings of Watteau provided inspiration for the Viennese artisans. The forte of the Viennese enamelers was their success in following the trend set by the interior decorators of mansions and great public buildings with regard to color schemes and pictorial themes from classical mythology. Considering the highly skilled craftsmanship of the Viennese artisans, this ornamental work often surpassed the original Renaissance and Rococo designs it emulated, making Vienna one of the most important European centers for decorative arts. World War I eventually put an end to the successful enameling industry in Vienna. Enameling is one of the oldest forms of decorative art with examples dating back almost 3,000 years to Mycenaean Greece, and despite advances made in all areas of decorative art, it seems that the methods used for enameling have changed little in that time. Enamel is actually glass colored with metallic pigments which are fused to metal by firing. Because of different colors fire at different temperatures, it was essential that the artist paints the colors that required the highest heat first, adding the others in descending order of their firing temperature, circa 1850 Measures: 5" wide x 3 1/4" deep x 8" high. less
- 5ʺW × 3.25ʺD × 8ʺH
- Mid 19th Century
- Condition Notes
- EXCELLENT EXCELLENT less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.