This enchanting Chinese plate, known as Canton enamel, evokes the intrigue and exclusivity of the 18th- century Imperial court. Boasting ... moreThis enchanting Chinese plate, known as Canton enamel, evokes the intrigue and exclusivity of the 18th- century Imperial court. Boasting a magnificent famille rose background hue, this plate is adorned with a sophisticated floral design of exceptional intricacy. A stylized mark graces the plate's underside. Almost certainly crafted during the Qianlong period, this piece is a rarity on the market today. Chinese painted enamel, or Canton enamel, is so named for the principal place of its manufacture, Canton. Introduced into China in the 18th century, probably by French missionaries, this painted-enamel technique is based on those developed in Limoges, France around 1470, and accordingly is referred to by the Chinese as "foreign porcelain." This term is also appropriate, in that much of it was made for export. There was a great demand in the West during the 18th and 19th centuries for Chinese porcelain dinner sets, tea services, vases, etc., and Canton enamel helped to fill this demand. Hence, most of the Canton enamels, such as this plate, used the famille rose colors peculiar to Europe. To make these wares, a metal object, usually copper but sometimes silver or gold, is covered with a background layer of enamel (often white), fired, and then is painted with colored enamels in much the same way as porcelain. Those crafted during the 18th century are of much finer quality and are much harder to find today. 18th century. Measures: 6 3/8" diameter. less
- 6.38ʺW × 6.38ʺD × 1ʺH
- Mid 18th Century
- Place of Origin
- Very Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Unknown, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- EXCELLENT EXCELLENT less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.