Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Gari Melchers "Belmont Lakeshore View" Oil Painting c.1920s
frame size 30 x 38"
board size 24 x 31"
Oil ... moreGari Melchers "Belmont Lakeshore View" Oil Painting c.1920s
frame size 30 x 38"
board size 24 x 31"
Oil painting on Board by American Listed Artist Gari Melchers depicting Geese running in a farm landscape at the edge of a Lake - Signed
Julius Garibaldi (Gari) Melchers was born in Detroit in 1860, five years after his family emigrated from Germany. His father was a sculptor and offered Saturday drawing classes, which Melchers attended as a youngster. At age of 17, Melchers entered the study of art full time at the Düsseldorf Academy where he was trained in the academic tradition. After a few years in Germany, Melchers moved to Paris to study at the Académie Julian before being admitted to the École des Beaux-Arts.(1)
For Melchers, his studies in Paris were instrumental in eliminating the dark, typically German palette from his paintings. Now a “lighter palette and looser quasi-Impressionism was executed,” attributed to Manet’s influence, yet, he continued to draw solid figures.(2) Completing his scholastic training and after receiving numerous awards, Melchers decided to remain in Europe.
Melchers became a true expatriate when he established a studio shared with a fellow American artist, George Hitchcock, in Egmond aan Zee, Holland. Melchers continued to travel throughout Europe and often returned to the United States, but the people of Holland served as his primary inspiration and subject matter for many years. By 1889, his professional reputation was established firmly at the Paris Universalle Exposition where he received the grand prize for painting, along with John Singer Sargent. This was the first time this honor was bestowed upon American artists. During this time, Melchers remained connected to the United States through many painting commissions, especially for portraits. In 1909, Melchers settled in Weimar, the cultural center of Germany, presiding over the art academy. However, with the onset of World War I, he was forced to return to the United States and he settled in Falmouth, Virginia. By this time, Melchers’ style had been influenced by several movements and began to reveal impressionist tendencies with “a moderate to heavy impasto, coarse brushwork, a light palette, and strong use of colors.”(3) In 1916, Melchers was elected to the National Academy of Design, and in 1931, he was made a trustee of the Corcoran Gallery of Art in Washington. He died at Belmont in 1932 less
- 38ʺW × 2ʺD × 30ʺH
- Place of Origin
- North America
- Oil Paint
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
- Art Subject
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.