Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
A fine Chinoiserie decorated japanned dial, or tavern, clock with a large shield-shaped dial having Roman and Arabic numerals set ...
moreA fine Chinoiserie decorated japanned dial, or tavern, clock with a large shield-shaped dial having Roman and Arabic numerals set within a moulded concave outer frame and bearing the signature, "T. Green" below the chapter ring; the shield-shaped dial is set above above a trunk fitted with an arched-top door with moulded edge and chisel foot; the sides decorated with leafage sprays.
This case is in a superb state of preservation and is enhanced by an elaborate Chinoiserie maritime scene on the trunk door surrounded with Chinoiserie figures and pavilions. Exotic birds, Chinoiserie figures and foliage surround the dial on the outer concave mouldings.
The 8-day timepiece movement with shaped plates united by five pillars and with an anchor escapement. T. Green: Britten, Baillie and Loomes list several Greens with initial or name beginning in T, but none appear to match this clocks date and style.
English - Circa 1760 - 1770
Height - 60 inches Width - 30 inches Depth - 7 inches
Gatto, Martin. The Tavern Clock. Bath: Tavernicus Publishing, 2010. Rose, Ronald E. English Dial Clocks. Woodbridge, Suffolk: Antique Collectors Club, 1978.
Clocks of this type, in this superb condition, are just not on the market very often. Adding to its appeal is the unique scene on the trunk door - which is of superb quality, done by a superior craftsman or woman. Great and imposing design, great workmanship and in great condition. What more can one ask for? less
- 30ʺW × 7ʺD × 60ʺH
- Mid 18th Century
- Place of Origin
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
More From This DealerView All
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.