This is a pair of cast stone cupids from France. They are cast from a mold that was taken off ...
moreThis is a pair of cast stone cupids from France. They are cast from a mold that was taken off the original statue in Paris, France. It was salvaged from a building pediment and was sold to a private collector. First appearing in classical Greek times as Eros, Cupid became a popular motif during Roman times all the way through medieval, and into later Western European art. They are often portrayed with a bow and arrows, which originally represented a source of power. In the 15th century, the meaning of cupid was interpreted in many different and complex ways, but in popular culture, we associate Cupid and his bow with romantic love. There is much history on this subject.
As for this particular statue, the story is that one of the cupids holds a flaming heart. The one holding the heart has his back left foot trapped to the ground, while the other, (Cupid or Eros) tries to steal it. This statue can stand on its own or on a base. We have two in our showroom at the time being, but we are selling individually.
CONDITION: Very good condition. Minor nicks and rubs. Repair to one wing (see photos). less
- 30.38ʺW × 19.75ʺD × 48.5ʺH
- Early 20th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Very good condition. Minor nicks and rubs. Repair to one wing (see photos). Very good condition. Minor nicks and rubs. Repair to one wing (see photos). less
- Place of Origin
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.