Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
This painted cast iron fountain is typical of the street fountains that were located in and around Paris starting in ...
moreThis painted cast iron fountain is typical of the street fountains that were located in and around Paris starting in the second half of the 1800s, during a period of heavy construction. It is based on the original design by the famous Val D'Osne iron works (see black and white photo below). The depiction is Neptune, God of Water or Sea, holding a stylized dolphin, which doubles as the spout. An identical fountain by Val D'Osne is located in a park in Néris-les-Bains, in Auvergne France.
The fountain is made up of 3 indivdual sections: the back, the basin, and the grille. There is a hole for drainage in the basin, and it can be used indoors or out. Upon inspection, you can see a crack on the left side, but this is largely superficial and the piece is sturdy.
Fountains and other iron ornaments like this were known as Fonte D'Art. Each piece begins with a model carved from either wood or stone. The detail of wooden carving cannot be matched by stone. After a hardened layer of sand or clay is is applied to the carving making a mold. Hot smelted iron is then poured into the mold. When it cools and hardens, the sculpture is removed and cleaned/sanded. Northen France was the center point for creating cast iron art in the 19th and 20th centuries. The area contained the best iron ore in France, plenty of lumber for the furnaces, and lots of sand for making the molds. In fact iron has been made in this area for more than 2000 years, responsible for many of Europes early swords, shields, and other iron implements.
CONDITION: Good condition, with rusting, and a hairline crack that does not affect structural strength. less
- 35.12ʺW × 22.5ʺD × 60ʺH
- Late 19th Century
- Place of Origin
- Condition Notes
- Good condition, with rusting, and a hairline crack that does not affect structural strength. Good condition, with rusting, and a hairline crack that does not affect structural strength. less
More From This DealerView All
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.