Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
This is a wonderful antique French commode with a parcel paint finish from Provence, dating to the end of the ...
moreThis is a wonderful antique French commode with a parcel paint finish from Provence, dating to the end of the 1800s. It has a rectangular conforming marble top and a restrained shaped front over a recessed, conforming frieze. There are three drawers with shaped raised panels having intervening transverse rails, six cast bronze handles, and bronze keyhole escutcheon plates, all of which have been painted with the corresponding color of the commode. The ornamentation on the handles is stylized cartouches with branches of leaves and c-scrolls beneath. The keyhole escutcheon plate is a crown with fleur-de-lys above the keyhole which is surrounded by gadrooned acanthus leaves and foliage. The rounded corners have been left plain with only a border molding. The sides are arched with shaped indents and a raised conforming center panel. The apron is shaped with an asymmetrical central gadrooned acanthus leaf and c-scroll leaves. The front feet are scrolled while the back feet have incised scrolls facing to the back.
Painting furniture in France began in the 1500’s and were mixtures of chalk and pigments from flowers that deterred bug infestations. Since the climate in Provence and other southern areas is warmer, more painted furniture, shutters, and anything else made of wood often had painted finishes. This particular chest was re-finished at a later date.
CONDITION: Very good. Previous restorations, chips to paint; rubs and nicks to wood. less
- 49.44ʺW × 24.5ʺD × 37ʺH
- Late 19th Century
- Place of Origin
- Condition Notes
- Very good. Previous restorations, chips to paint; rubs and nicks to wood. Very good. Previous restorations, chips to paint; rubs and nicks to wood. less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.