Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
This 18th century French buffet from Nimes is one of the most exceptional buffets we have found in recent years ...
moreThis 18th century French buffet from Nimes is one of the most exceptional buffets we have found in recent years. The balance of lines has been finessed to perfection. The ornamentation is refined without stiffness or conversely, ostentation—simply pure. The top is rectangular with a refined shaped front. The frieze has three panels conforming effortlessly atop the two doors below. A stylized heart motif is at the center.
The two front door panels have thin asymmetrically shaped moldings on the raised panel which somewhat mirrors the two shapes of the outer moldings. The apron is magnificently hand pierced with rocaille motifs and scrolling rinceau. This is typical of the Nimes region cabinet makers. Note how the ends of the leaves curl into the openings. The rounded corners have beautifully carved acanthus leaves and scrolled feet on hooves. In the 6th and 7th photos, note the knee of the leg, where the acanthus leaf curls outward gracefully. This cabinetmaker was a superb artisan. The sides have two asymmetrical panels meeting at the center. There is original iron hardware throughout.
Take note of the unbelievably clear and gloss like finish on our rare 18th century buffet from Nimes. It might appear like the wood is sealed at first glance, but it is not. The buffet surface is "cire rempli", which is an old and complicated finish used by skilled ebenistes in France... Hard to replicate, but gives a brilliant look when done properly. less
- 53.25ʺW × 25ʺD × 37.88ʺH
- Mid 18th Century
- Place of Origin
- Condition Notes
- Excellent Antique Condition; minor nicks and rubs and old restorations. Excellent Antique Condition; minor nicks and rubs and old restorations. less
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.